Sunday, December 16, 2007

Pride & Joy

First of all -- I am playing around with my blog colors and title graphics. So yes, you have found my blog even tho it looks slightly different.

This weekend was a great one. I had minimal work for the first time in about 10 weekends. That was truly an odd feeling. I did some work but didn't really HAVE to -- it was more habit but I don't have any true deadlines right now. Feels great.

In any event, as today's blog title says, this weekend was one of Pride & Joy. First JOY -- I finally felt the Christmas spirit for a lot of reasons but one of them resulted from seeing some amazing decorated homes in our area. I just LOVE when people spend countless hours decorating the outside of their homes for purely the sake of others to see and enjoy. That is true selflessness to me! These two homes are striking and very different. One of them is so elegant and high-end -- this family, whom I do not know, started broadcasting music to their light show last year. There is a sign that tells you where to tune in on FM. There are about 5 or 6 songs for the entire 'show'. It's amazing. The grass is covered in green lights and every tree, bush, border has color....it's so hard to convey this in my 2D photos. And it's a very stately home so they way they have done this is very elegant. But you get the idea. There is always a line of cars sitting waiting to get a closer view -- and folks come in from all over the area just to see it.

The other home is close to us as well and a tiny home that is literally covered with inflatables, lights, toys, candy canes on the trees...every inch -- you cannot even see the house! And with this one -- the owner lets folks walk thru his front porch and yard so you can get close to everything! My boys thought they were in the North Pole -- they didn't want to leave! I chatted with the owner/decorator who said he's been doing this for 40 years and starts decorating the weekend of Thanksgiving! I had no idea and I grew up here. He even decorates for Halloween and invited us to come back for that next year. This year he said he had over 400 trick-or-treaters! Where have I been? So if you are in the area, you must take an evening drive to these two homes which are only about 2 1/2 miles from each other.

Lastly, my PRIDE. My sweet Jackson performed his first piano recital this weekend. After 3 months of lessons, he did it. It was not easy -- lots of angst all week. Even for mom and dad. He kept telling me, "I am SO not happy about my piano recital". It was so funny yet I remember that feeling after 8 years of lessons myself of having to perform and not wanting to. He was the youngest there out of 11 students and did great -- I don't even recall one mistake. But here's the thing. This is one of those life-moments you'll never forget as a parent or only hear about before you're a parent. How cool is that? Molded in my brain forever. So proud.

(remember to click on an image to see a larger version)

Happy Advent to all! It is for me now!







No comments: