Saturday, April 12, 2008

Homemade Music - the "other" art

For those of you who are blog stalkers and don't know me that well, I am married to a serious musician (studied at Berklee School of Music, he works at XM Radio by day running the Performance Studio as well as writing music for film/tv on the side from home). As a result, our wee offspring are showing signs of serious genetic duplication. I keep pushing the camera in hand but I'm losing out to the cooler music genre and specifically ROCK. Tho, as a Foo Fighters- Smashing Pumpkins-Radiohead-Muse-Silversun Pickups fan myself, it's hard for my kids to know anything else!

Jackson, almost 8, is taking piano lessons and LOVES it....he spends just about everyday on the piano writing his own stuff rather than practicing his lessons! This past fall, he entered a composition into the PTA sponsored "Reflections" program open to all students nationwide. The program is aimed to encourage kids of all ages (thru high school) to creatively explore an area of the arts that they enjoy (music, photography, visual arts, film/video, dance and writing). He competed in the K-2 category for Musical Composition and took 'outstanding interpretation' (or 1st) at his school, again at the the cluster level, and ultimately took 2nd for Fairfax County. We are proud. Wednesday evening was a little awards ceremony for those who rec'd top recognition -- attached are those photos.

To augment the "piano-ness" here, I often walk into my house and hear roaring drums and blaring electric guitar from the basement below. I usually come down to find my husband with the boys jamming. It's great fun to see them develop their interest in music. Jack just became the happy new owner of a replica Les Paul 1959 guitar so it's quite often that I hear this now. I have to admit that while I am not well versed in the world of guitars, this one is gorgeous and sounds pretty rockin' and is admired by all guitarists amateur and pro. I had no idea this is the holy grail of guitars. For me, it would be like owning Nikon D3 (only $5000, body only) but better b/c of it's history.









1 comment:

Armin de Fiesta said...

That Gibson looks sweet, I bet it sounds just as good! That's SO awesome what your husband does. If I didn't pursue my visual interests (video/photography), I would've stayed on the musician course myself. I once thought I'd be the next David Foster or Hans Zimmer back in the day :) Rock on!