Monday, March 10, 2008

Harry's big #5!


I am amazed to be talking about this already. 5 years. In some ways I think that it's just a couple years ago when I was in the hospital marveling at my new baby boy who I was convinced would be a girl -- named Eva Amalia. But at 9 pounds, 1 oz. he certainly was not. He looked like a fat, old man...stocky and meaty and lots of folds to smooch. Harry is proud to be 5 and as excited as he was, he was surprised and sad that he didn't FEEL any differently. He did try to show me, in a sneaky way, that he was taller. But after a cursory glance downward, I noticed he was on his tippy toes. He was defeated when I just stared at him with a smirk and then he retorted with, "Oh, mom" exasperated.

He was a lucky 5 year old. He tried to tell me he was 6 or 7 b/c we had 3 days of birthdays. Since his REAL birthday was on Thursday, of course we took him out for his chosen dinner of RIBS. Famous Dave's BBQ was his pick. They surprised him with a huge sundae with a massive candle/sparkler on top for dessert too. He was smitten. Ribs and ice cream and Harry is set for life.

On Friday, my mom baked cupcakes (at least that's what she called them but the icing was about 2mm thick and no kid thinks this is a true cupcake!) and his class sang to him. And finally, Saturday was his real party. I had it at his preschool b/c the large room afforded more running space for a winter birthday, and secondly, I had hired a magician to entertain the kids for the hour. With the intent of less work for mom in the planning process. Well, ever hear of Murphy's Law? Indeed this happened. Mr. Magician drove from MD and got a flat tire on the way...and would you believe was an HOUR late. Well, bday parties don't last more than 2 hours so by the time he got there, there was only 30 minutes left. He shortened the show but WOWed the kids nonetheless so I was a bit disappointed we couldn't have the full hour but he did do a great, great job. The company is called Jason Levinson and despite the bad luck, I highly recommend them for parties.

Harry's big birthday present was a new bike. He has been the 'hand me down' kid for 5 years and deserved this bike after riding his brother's old bike which was in bad shape -- dangerously so. Training wheels that never stayed on straight and wheel treads that were worn off b/c of my older son's SLAMMING on the breaks to show off his stops! So he's thrilled to have a cool, red bike!

Just for kicks, I will post a photo of Master Harry at the ripe young age of 5 months as well.

ENJOY!

















1 comment:

Erin J. Photography Blog said...

Aw! I tearing up, realizing that they can grow up so fast! That last picture next to Harry at 5.... I can't believe Haley could EVER be 5!
Happy Birthday Harry!